Tuesday, December 14, 2010

tonight


Is it just me, or does freelance art-ing always get busy around Christmas? I can't remember the last time that I had some slack at this time of year. Not that I'm complaining...

Darkest days of the year are upon us. All this Christmas holly-jolly stuff does not match with my reality. This time of year I feel more of an urge to stand alone in the cold and black and face my demons. Cuss a little bit under a streetlight, write some nasty poems on wet paper.

The only part about Christmas that feels right is the gathering of people in places of warmth, and the sharing of food and stories. It makes sense to take refuge from the weather and celebrate the lengthening days with a bit of a feast.

If happiness comes from that, that's cool, but it should come naturally, not be expected. Everything in life has a dark side, but the only "celebration" in White-Anglo-Canada that recognizes the darkness is Hallowe'en. We need more of that. I think the expectation of constant celebration and happiness makes for much depression and sadness.

In Germany there's some creepy demon-like characters that come along with Christmas. I have no idea what the story is, but there was a healthy sprinkling of scary icons in the Christmas markets I visited when I lived there.

If you're going to have a holiday that's supposed to be "filled with cheer", put it in the summer, for fuck sakes! Gimme some shorts and put me on a hot beach with a bottle of red wine and I'll show you some goddamned cheer!

3 comments:

  1. One could argue that being filled full of gluvine/spirits/roast beast is also being filled with 'cheer'....

    But I'm with you on the hot beach, shorts and sack of wine. Holla and I'll be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that holiday 'cheeriness' is totally incongruous with natural order. Look at Dickens' Christmas Carol - that book is not light... a man being forced to look back at all the bitter disappointments in his life that turned him away from humanity and emotion. Having to take a good hard look at the human suffering all around him, and also all the goodness that he has missed out on. It's brutally sad! Wouldn't it be good if Christmas was about that kind of inner searching, doing some good hard brooding...? and then starting the new year by trying to reconnect with the Present! Instead of a bunch of hollow attempts to drive away those dark thoughts, and loneliness and regret - and then making New Year Resolutions to try to be 'better' in some way.

    ReplyDelete