Saturday, September 4, 2010

seaweed and theatre and the unspeakable horrors of the city

I was in Vancouver this week for some project-getting-ready-meetings. That's all I have to say about that.

I feel very privileged to be working with a couple performances this fall. One is a dance piece, the other is a play, which might turn into a graphic novel / PhD thesis. Most people think theater is an old / boring / uncomfortable art form, but let me tell ya - it is the most fun creative work I will ever do! Theater people are usually fantastic collaborators, and I always feel like a rockstar when I work with them.

I also feel very privileged to be gardening / farming a fair bit lately. There's an old man on this island - maybe in his 90's - who can't bend over any more, so I'm helping with his garden 2-3 times a week. Today was the big harvest, because tomorrow is the last farm market of the season. Taking down the corn, pulling out spuds, carrots and beets. Cutting out the cabbage and cauliflower and trimming them nice n pretty for the market.

It feels really good to pull these amazing colorful balloons of energy out of the ground - products of love and labour and experience, straight from the earth into someone's kitchen the next day.

I love learning from our elders - there is so much experience and wisdom, you gotta just listen and suck that up. On these islands, they use seaweed to help fertilize the ground. I think we'll be out raking up seaweed into his truck in a week or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment