Sunday, March 13, 2011

OBEY


The front painting is moving along. The rear painting is a big wild acrylic thing composed of colours leftover on the palette at the end of the painting session. I have a lot of thoughts about painting, but I'll save it for now and present to you:


THE LAWS OF CREATIVE COLLABORATION

1. No matter how lame it seems, always sign a contract before you work with someone. It ensures that you agree on the nitty-gritty details right away so you can focus on the fun stuff without reservation.

2. Monetarily, never ask for less than you deserve.

3. Trust your intuition. No matter how good it seems from a logical standpoint, if the project feels sketchy, don't do it.


People, I'm not kidding about those things. Follow the laws, or you will get fucked every time.

. . .

Two Bonus Laws that might not apply to anyone else, but I continually forget them, only to be accidentally reminded when I go outside to take a grumpy-piss and look up at a gorgeous star-filled night sky, bordered by clouds rimmed with silver from the moonlight. And things like that. So I think I should write them down:


JAY'S LAWS OF ADMINISTERING THE BUSINESS-SIDE OF BEING AN ARTIST:

4. When business-stuff starts to piss you off, go for a walk in some nature. Go for a swim. Chop Wood. Whatever it is, do it outside in fresh air and alone.

5. When business-stuff starts to piss you off, ignore it and make art / write / listen to music.


Rules 4 and 5 give me perspective real quick, and remind me what's really important.

No comments:

Post a Comment