Sunday, March 20, 2011

fishmen


Went for a nice long swim today in my full-body wetsuit. The water is noticeably warmer - I can dunk my head and not gasp for breath, and the whole thing doesn't have the intensity of a survival situation any more.

A huge flock of gulls massed overhead; two bald eagles; the flock of homing pigeons over the far trees circling their coop at my neighbour's farm. I let out a big hoot at one point, and it freaked out a seal that must have been watching me from below the surface - he came up about fifteen feet away and gave me a "WTF?!?" look, and splashed back down so fast that his tail popped back up in the air. (Usually they slip gracefully under the water by looking upwards and sliding under.)

I'm extremely happy to be getting out there again. I'll be up North in the Yukon for 5-6 weeks, so I'm going to miss out on the real warming period, but by the time I get back in early May, Swimming Season Shall Begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment