Monday, May 9, 2011

faces

I draw people all the time, but it's rare that they look like the subject. I'm okay with that.

People often ask me to draw them. I never do it. I have a fantastic ability to make people look emaciated, creepy and old.

I don't see the point in drawing someone so photo-accurately, although I think it's a great exercise in observation and proportion. I am looking at your face and my pencil is drawing what it sees. Your image has been filtered through my eyes, my brain, my creative intuition, my fingers, and the lead / ink / paint, and this is the result.

There's a bizarre kind of introspective loop that happens when I self-doodle like this. How much of the drawing is direct observation, and how much is a projection of how I feel about myself? It's kind of fascinating shit. I bet you could spend years just drawing /painting your own face and make some pretty deep discoveries.

No comments:

Post a Comment