Friday, January 25, 2013

Making Meaning



A stream coming out of a wall
concrete wall
that goes way high up to the highway.

The stream pours out through rotting leaves rotting trees
and quickly disappears again into another culvert.

I don't know if you would consider it a stream, any more.

I don't know if you would consider it a place, any more.

There would be no reason for people to stop there
but
I did stop
and why did i?

And so I've been doing drawings of it
and including myself in those drawings
and drawing it inside myself
in an attempt to get a sense of it
and to understand my participation in defining it.

With all this thinking,
the area is gaining importance for me
It's turning into something.
Maybe it's turning back into a place.

The drawings have turned into a figure
that the place is within.
But the place also extends beyond the figure.

The next experiment is to go back and imprint this back onto the concrete wall
and I don't think anything more needs to be said about it right now.

Except that it's a fairly clear night,
Full Moon
That has already risen so I'll be in the shadow of the wall.

I'll be starting at around 11:00
I'd like to see if I can stick around until sunrise
and just see what happens out there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment